Why Primer Is An Everyday Essential

why primer is essential, best primers, benefit porefessional, w7 prime magic, maybelline baby skin, mac prep+prime, mac skin base visage














Primer is a stage I feel a lot of people seem to skip in their makeup, some people feel they don't see any benefits to primer or some people just simply can't be bothered. I personally couldn't wear my makeup without primer, I find it acts as the glue for my makeup and provides a much needed barrier between my moisturiser and foundation, without it my foundation would just slip and slide around. Finding the right primer to suit your skin or the foundation you're wearing can however be a lot harder than it seems.

In my opinion, the most obvious choice when buying a primer would be Benefit the POREfessional, it's the UK's number one selling primer and the beauty community regularly give it the thumbs up. This was the first high end product I ever bought, and although I don't use it everyday anymore I do still love it. It smoothes out your complexion, blurs any imperfections and slightly mattifies the skin ready for foundation. This is one I grab for when I'm going on a night out and I want a flawless complexion, I find if I use it everyday it can start to clog up my pores - slightly ironic considering it's supposed to blur them - so I reserve this for when my skin is in dire need or if I'm after a flawless look.

In terms of high street primers, they never seem to offer anything too much for your skin except helping to make your makeup last a bit longer on the skin. Some budget options would be the W7 Prime Magic Camera Ready Face Primer* which helps to smooth out the skin and blur any fine lines. It has a slightly strange smell, not offensive just not what I expected, and makes the fingers feel slightly dry after you've applied the primer, but it leaves the skin feeling silky smooth and ready for your base. I have normal skin but I can imagine this would be nice for people with oily skin as it helps to mattify the skin and soak up any oil in the skin. Another would be the Maybelline Baby Skin, a little really does go a long way with this primer, if you add too much your foundation will slide right off the skin, but if you can find the perfect middle ground it will help your foundation will last all day. I'm not quite sure it lives up to it's claims of being pore minimising, but if you're after a basic inexpensive primer this is a nice option.

If you're someone who doesn't struggle keeping foundation on the skin but just wants to have the added glow to the skin then you'll love MAC Prep + Prime Skin Base Visage. I bought it recently after trying a sample of it, and it's defiantly my personal favourite of the bunch. It starts as a pearly white with a creamy texture with slight reflective glitter throughout but blends in to the skin to add a hydrated and moisturised look, but without the shine of a moisturiser. The glitter adds a highlight and glow to the face without looking like a disco ball and I've found my makeup does last that little bit extra when I do wear this. It's cheaper than the POREfessional but is still on the slightly pricey side of things, but for me it's an all round winner.

Do you wear primer, and what is your favourite?

10 comments

  1. I wear primer every single day even for school, people think I'm so weird for doing it but it just makes such a difference in my opinion x
    http://whattaylorbuys.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does, don't see what would be weird about it, at least your makeup will last the longest :p

      Delete
  2. I'm rubbish with primer, I just always forget it!

    Annabel ♥
    Mascara & Maltesers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to, but once I started to see the difference it makes it would be like forgetting moisturiser

      Delete
  3. I use the Bare Minerals primer, so good!

    www.aboutxgirl.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post, I'm a huge lover of the Benefit Pore- fessional myself! Hadn't tried until recently and had been using the Maybelline Baby Skin but I've been converted, worth the little bit extra if you ask me x

    http://charleychatt.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Defiantly, some people said the Baby Skin was a dupe but Porefessional really does a lot more!

      Delete
  5. I'd say its probably only been this last year or two that I have bothered with anything on my actual face other than moisturiser , blusher and eye make up. But I'm now a complete convert for primer as I feel even though I'm not a great user of foundation etc it does give my skin a finished look. Im currently using a Bioderma pore refiner but Im really collecting recommendations for something more moisturising and glowing now. I have a couple of the higher end products on my wishlist but on the budget end I've also been recommended the Nivea Daily Essentials Hydration Primer which I'm going to try alongside. Definitely going to add this Mac one to my list too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only used to use primer for night outs but now I'm a total convert for the daytime, it just perfects the skin even on no makeup days! Oooh I image the Nivea one would be cheap, so I might look out for it.

      Delete