Top 5 Makeup Brushes

When it comes to makeup brushes I'm still to branch out of the lower end of the spectrum. For a long time I have lusted after a MAC 217 and would love to be able to go out and spend £20 on one brush, but as a student it's just not likely. There are so many great and cheap offerings that right now I don't really feel an expensive brush collection is necessary. I have around 30 brushes in my collection which I've bought over the past 18 months, so I've compiled down which of them are my 5 essential and favourite brushes.




Real Techniques Buffing Brush - This brush is probably a brush you'll find on most people's list of their top brushes, and for good reason. Whilst it's annoying that it can't be bought alone, the core collection is an amazing kit to have, I've found a use for each brush and even if you only use one other brush from the set that's still only £10 each. This brush helps to seamlessly blend your foundation in to the skin in seconds giving it a natural and flawless look. It works amazing at blending out concealer and evening out cream blush in to the skin. My only problem is how hard it can be to wash and how long it takes to dry, but it's still probably the number one brush for anyone new to makeup! 

ELF Complexion Brush - When I first bought this brush I didn't think much of it, and for a while it just sat in my pot of brushes unused. But in recent months I've been using it more and and more and it has become one of my daily essentials. It is able to do pretty much the whole face, apply powder, blush, bronzer and highlighter, and is my favourite brush for all of them things. It picks up a light amount of product meaning the face never looks cakey and the cheeks are never too bronzed. For £3.95 it's super soft, washes amazingly and is a great one to have. 

eBay 222 Eyeshadow Brush - Like I said, I'd love to own some MAC brushes, especially their eyeshadow ones, so when I came across these dupes on eBay I knew I had to try them. I have 4 brushes from this seller, all different numbers and this is by far my favourite. It picks up enough product to cover the eyelid but is small enough to fit in the crease and blend the shadow out. It is slightly scratchy but for 99p you can't really expect the best quality and it does seem to get softer with every wash. If you're after brushes but don't want to spend a small fortune eBay is the best place to look.

Real Techniques Multi Task Brush - Another Real Techniques brush which can only be bought in a set, they really should offer some way of selling all their brushes individually. Similar to the complexion brush it does pretty much everything, but this brush is perfect for contouring. Although the brush is slightly larger than most peoples ideal contour brush I love it, I'm able to get a precise contour which is blended perfectly and doesn't leave any lines. I do prefer my ELF brush for bronzing and blush, but for on the go this is pretty much the only brush you would need.

SEVENTEEN Brow Brush - If I pair this brush with my eBay 222 I can do pretty much any look. This is great for doing your brows, gel liner and smudging out eyeshadow and eyeliner, (can you see a theme? I like brushes that can do more than one job). It's small and thin which means you can get a precise application for what ever the use, something that can't be done with the Real Techniques Brow Brush. The one bad thing is the brush can't actually be bought anymore, I got this in a brush set that was exclusive to Boots at Christmas, but is a set I'll be looking out for again this Christmas. 

There are my 5 top brushes and probably all I would need for a full face of makeup, that doesn't however mean I won't need anymore in my collection! What are your favourites, I'm always on the look out for some more to add?


6 comments

  1. My fave brushes are real techniques! I also love the buffing brush and the blush brush!

    xprincessjas | ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blush brush is on my list to get, but I have so many blusher style brushes I'm needing to justify that I need it, I'm sure I will eventually :D x

      Delete
  2. I need a new buffing brush, I lost mine but agree it is a fab one to have x
    Beautyqueenuk xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should check out iHerb if you've not used it before, you can get the whole set for like half the UK price :) x

      Delete
  3. The elf brushes are so much better than expected!! Nothing wrong with a makeup brush obsession!! :)

    www.nailsmakeupbeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are! I find this one I have to be softer and wash better than my Real Techniques ones, and they're cheaper :) x

      Delete